Tuesday, February 16, 2010

getting there

well I made some progress over the weekend - I love president's day!

I'm now finished the first 2 charts and have about 6 sets of chart C to do, which is 20 rows. I might just make it!

On the Saturday we went out for Valentine's day to Brasserie Max & Julie and had great foie gras, steak tartare and profiteroles. Bob had the beef bourguignon and that was excellent too. I know it's not the Texas way, but I would have enjoyed it more if the portions were a little smaller. You can have too much of a good thing (see my blog title).

Then we walked to The Black Labrador for a beer. It's got a good selection of beer on tap, supposedly better than the Flying Saucer, but I don't know about that.

After that we walked to Anvil Bar & Refuge. I'd had a drink there a few weeks ago that I kept thinking about, it was so good. I can't remember the name of it, but it's got blackstrap rum, ginger beer and habanero sauce in it. It's very dark and peppery and you need to sip it, which is just my style.

On the way to Anvil we ran into a couple of young guys with backpacks and asked them where they were going. They're actually riding freight trains across the country (I thought that was a depression-era thing) and had gotten off a train in Houston in the 5th ward and were trying to find a place to sleep for the night. They'd frozen the previous night because it's been so cold here and they weren't impressed with Houston so far. They're heading towards LA, then maybe up the coast to Canada and then back across Canada to the east coast. They were so friendly and enthusiastic we really liked them and hope they do OK. We gave them $20 and hope they found a warm place to sleep and a place to hop a train to El Paso or where ever their next stop is. They really had such a great attitude for 2 people who must be having a hard time - one of them had only one leg - and they also had a dog with them. One guy's backpack only had a sleeping bag and dog food in it. Anyway, I really hope they have a great adventure and people are kind to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment